The fourth installment in the Matrix series has officially been confirmed by Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures.
Picture Group chairman, Toby Emmerich told Variety that Lana Wachowski will be writing and directing the film.
EXCLU: MATRIX 4 a go with Keanu, Carrie and Lana back for new installment expected to shoot at the top of 2020. Wachowski will write and direct, Reeves and Moss reprising their roles https://t.co/5s3zTJiMey— Justin Kroll (@krolljvar) August 20, 2019
“We could not be more excited to be reentering 'The Matrix' with Lana. Lana is a true visionary -- a singular and original creative filmmaker -- and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in 'The Matrix' universe,” Emmerich told The Hollywood Reporter.
Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss will both return in their respective roles as Neo and Trinity.
Wachowski said in a statement that the ideas of “The Matrix” are more relevant than ever now and she’s happy to have the characters back in her life.
She has written the last three movies with her sister, Lilly.
"The Matrix" was released just over 20 years ago and spawned two sequels that cumulatively made more than $1.6 billion at the global box office.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- State asks Kennywood why they keep closing The Steel Curtain
- Dick's Sporting Goods testing if it should stop selling guns, report says
- Reality star Todd Chrisley's daughter says father, brother blackmailing her with sex tape
- VIDEO: Neighbors say they're being overrun by rats
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.