PHILADELPHIA - A Pennsylvania mother is accused of stabbing her toddler daughter multiple times with a machete, critically injuring the girl, police said.
According to WCAU-TV, Philadelphia police arrested the woman, whose name has not been released, Sunday night after she attacked the 3-year-old, slicing the child's head, knee and shoulder, authorities said.
Witnesses told the TV station that the girl "was covered with blood" when a family friend brought her out of the Olney house where the attack occurred. A neighbor described the mother, who was naked, as "very incoherent," WCAU reported.
"All the girl kept saying was, 'My mommy tried to cut my hair,'" a woman, identified only as Pauline, told WPVI-TV.
A nurse who lives in the area tended to the toddler until emergency crews took her to a nearby hospital, WPVI reported. Her condition was listed as "critical but stable," authorities said.
Authorities said they may charge the girl's mother with aggravated assault and other crimes, according to WCAU.
WATCH NBC10 NEWS LIVE NOW: A 3-year-old is recovering after she was attacked with a machete inside a Philadelphia home. The child's mother is in custody. @drewsmithtv has the details: https://t.co/z0P88KjF7C pic.twitter.com/IhNLfrgNqR— NBC10 Philadelphia (@NBCPhiladelphia) August 12, 2019
- Steelers WR coach Darryl Drake dies; practice canceled until Tuesday
- 5 children killed in day care center fire in Pennsylvania
- Record for world's largest wedding cookie table broken in Monongahela
- VIDEO: Hundreds of motorcyclists take part in Officer Brian Shaw Memorial Ride
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.