HANNIBAL, Mo. - Crowds at a festival in Hannibal, Missouri, screamed and scattered Saturday as a hot air balloon quickly descended toward spectators, knocking several to the ground and injuring at least one person, according to news outlets.
It happened at the Hannibal Bicentennial Celebration when an “experienced balloonist” tried to land, KHQA-TV reported.
He ended up smashing into several spectators, bouncing off the ground and grazing a tree before bringing the balloon under control.
A young girl suffered minor injuries.
"Thankfully, there were no serious injuries, and the event continued," the festival committee said in a statement, CNN reported.
- 7 riders killed by truck were part of Marine veterans 'JarHeads' motorcycle club
- Man attacks woman with knife during fight on PAT bus, police say
- 'Dog the Bounty Hunter's' Beth Chapman in medically induced coma
- VIDEO: Century III Mall to be torn down
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.