IRVINGTON, N.Y. - A New York man jumped into action, stripping down to his underwear to rescue two stranded dogs from a frozen pond at an Irvington nature center.
Timofey Yriev was walking his own dog at the O’Hare Nature Center last weekend when he saw two dogs that had fallen through an ice-covered pond, according to WABC-TV.
- Treasurer of local PTO accused of stealing $25,000
- Man accused of hitting two women with his car, including his mother
- Man stabbed during argument in downtown Pittsburgh
- VIDEO: Infant Drowns After Mother Falls Asleep in Bath with Him, Police Say
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Yuriev, who told reporters he had learned to swim in icy water in Siberia when he was a child, went in after the animals.
"When I did the breathing technique everything felt nice," he said. "I felt a bit light-headed and I went for the second dog."
DOG RESCUE: A very brave New York man and his very brave pup saw 2 dogs fall into an icy lake -- and jumped in to save them. All 4 are now safe. Join us in thanking Timofey and Kira! https://t.co/dKwhhYiluP pic.twitter.com/zOEoQivSmJ— Eyewitness News (@ABC7NY) March 12, 2019
It turned out the dogs had escaped from their owner and tried to cross the pond on thin ice, WABC reported.
Yuriev, with help from his own dog, successfully rescued the scared canines and made news headlines in the process.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.