Jay Inslee, the governor of Washington State, announced Friday that he is running for president in 2020.
Inslee, a Democrat who is in his second term as governor, also served in Congress and is known for his stance on climate change.
Here’s what to know about Inslee:
- He is 68 years old.
- He grew up in the Seattle area and married his high school sweetheart, Trudi. The couple has three sons and three grandchildren.
- He earned degrees from Willamette University, Willamette University College of Law and from the University of Washington.
- He practiced law in Selah, Washington, for 10 years.
- He was elected to the Washington state legislature in 1988 and re-elected in 1990.
- In 1992 Inslee was elected to represent the 4th Congressional District. According to his website, he later moved back to the Seattle area and was elected to Congress in 1998 where he served until 2012. He served on the United States House Committee on Energy and Commerce.
- In 2012, Inslee was elected Washington's 23rd governor.
- As governor, Inslee created a Clean Energy Fund, which has invested more than $100 million in developing energy technologies and growing clean energy businesses and jobs.
- His state’s attorney general filed a lawsuit in 2017 on behalf of the state of Washington challenging the Trump Administration's order to ban entry into the country of people from seven Muslim-majority countries.
- According to his website, Inslee is an avid cyclist and hiker.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.