NORFOLK, Va. - A Virginia woman was diagnosed with a flesh-eating infection following a recent trip to an area beach, she said.
“I was just like, ‘Oh my goodness… my leg is gonna fall off.'" One local woman can now laugh at her potentially fatal health scare after she told News 3 reporter @BrianHillWTKR how she contracted a flesh-eating staph infection at a #Norfolk beach https://t.co/guiNU5Q3Qf pic.twitter.com/UJqcNxtDg0— WTKR News 3 (@WTKR3) July 16, 2019
According to WTKR, Amanda Edwards and her friends visited Ocean View Beach in Norfolk last week and started experiencing symptoms a day later.
"I noticed this thing that came on my leg," she told the TV station. "I ignored it for a couple days, and it just started getting bigger and bigger and bigger to the point where I couldn't walk anymore."
Edwards said doctors, who diagnosed her with a staph infection caused by flesh-eating bacteria, drained the swollen area and told her to "keep it covered for days." They also prescribed antibiotics, which she must take for two more weeks, she said.
Doctors told Edwards that the bacteria likely entered her system through an open wound, WTKR reported, adding that officials had issued a swimming advisory the same day that she went to the beach.
- Teen boy killed after fall at YMCA camp
- Police arrest man charged with killing girlfriend's 11-month-old daughter
- West Virginia man says he was bitten by copperhead while reaching under couch
- VIDEO: Police: Officer shoots, kills man who fired gun in midst of homicide investigation
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.