Deputies in Rockdale County, Georgia, are searching for a “slider crew” that tried to steal a car from a woman pumping gas.
Security camera photos shows a man sneaking up on the woman at a Conyers BP gas station. Deputies said someone in a Dodge Charger dropped the man off, just so he could steal her car.
- Police identify woman in video licking Blue Bell ice cream in Walmart, returning it to freezer
- Man charged after wife's remains discovered buried under her home
- Storms could disrupt BBQ and fireworks plans on July 4
- VIDEO: Man accused of exposing himself at pool claims ‘wardrobe malfunction'
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The criminal eventually made it into her car undetected.
“The victim did not see the suspect until he attempted to drive away in the vehicle,” Deputy Lee Thomas said.
Once she realized someone else was starting up her car, the victim did the only thing she thought she could do.
She pulled the gas nozzle out and sprayed him while he was in the driver’s seat. That scared him away.
“It was like a movie. I didn’t realize it was actually happening,” said a witness who saw the whole thing unfold. “My son told me, he said, ‘Dad, I think he’s trying to steal the car,’ and I was looking, and I heard the car revving up and the next thing I know, he jumped out of the car and he started running.”
Soaked in gasoline, the would-be thief ran down the road and got back into the same Dodge Charger that dropped him off.
Deputies said they think the same guys have done this before, so they want help catching them.
“This is definitely not the first time they’ve done this. I’m pretty sure they’ll be attempting it again,” Thomas said.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.