CHARLESTON, W. Va. — There’s a little something for everybody in West Virginia’s COVID-19 vaccine incentives, unveiled Tuesday by Gov. Jim Justice.
According to WTRF, the lottery-style giveaways span five weeks beginning June 20 and include the following prizes:
• Two full, four-year scholarships to any West Virginia institution for children ages 12- to 25-years-old.
• Two new custom-outfitted “Rocky Ridge” Ford F-150 trucks.
• 25 weekend getaways to state parks.
• Five lifetime hunting and fishing licenses.
• Five custom hunting rifles.
• Five custom hunting shotguns.
• Cash prizes totaling nearly $7.2 million.
In addition to drawing for one $1 million winner each week throughout the five-week COVID-19 vaccination campaign, two grand prizes will be given away Aug. 4, with one person winning $1,588,000 and the runner-up taking $588,000, WSAZ reported.
“Faster we get them across the finish line, the more money we save,” Justice said during a Tuesday news conference detailing the vaccine incentives.
According to WSAZ, Justice chose June 20 as the campaign’s kickoff because it coincides with West Virginia’s founding.
All West Virginia residents who receive at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine are eligible for the prizes if they register, and state officials are working to create a registration website, the TV station reported.
As of Tuesday, Justice said the number of active COVID-19 cases statewide was 4,550, the lowest count on record since Oct. 27, 2020. He also confirmed that his goal of vaccinating 85% of West Virginians 65 and older currently stands at 84%, WSAZ reported.
More coronavirus pandemic coverage:
©2021 Cox Media Group