NEW YORK — The tradition of sitting down and watching the big balloons, marching bands and Broadway shows march through New York City is going to look a lot different this year because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The parade will be done virtually, New York Mayor Bill De Blasio announced Monday, Entertainment Tonight reported.
“It will not be the same parade we’re used to," De Blasio said in his daily press briefing.
“Following our successful, safe and innovative production of Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks, it is our intention to similarly reimagine Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade this November," Macy’s said on a statement on its website.
The fireworks show was held over several days and locations, NBC News reported.
NBC News reported the parade will be held over two days and that there will be a 75% decrease in the number of participants. They will all be socially distanced.
Usually, the parade is held over 2 1/2 miles through the heart of New York City to Herald Square.
The bands and marching units from across the country that had been invited to perform this year will have their participation deferred until 2021.
Local marching bands will take the place of those that had been invited for this year, NBC News reported.
There will still be balloons, but instead of the nearly 100 balloon handlers holding onto them, they will be tied to an anchor vehicle approved by New York City Police and other transportation officials, NBC News reported.
The parade has been canceled only a handful of times in the past. The Wall Street Journal reported it had been canceled in 1942, 1943 and 1944, due to a rubber and helium shortage during World War II, but held all other years since 1924.
The parade will be aired Thanksgiving Day. For more information, including the latest developments, click here.
© 2020 Cox Media Group