Pentagon to set up UFO task force

Pentagon setting up UFO task force

WASHINGTON — As if 2020 isn’t odd enough already, the Pentagon is creating a task force to investigate unidentified flying objects.

Two defense officials spoke to CNN about the UFO investigations.

The task force is expected to be led by Deputy Secretary of Defense David Norquist and the official announcement of the task force’s formation is expected within days, the two officials said.

Content Continues Below

Government officials in Congress and at the Pentagon have been concerned about unidentified objects that have been seen flying over military bases. Some believe the aircraft could be drones from other governments looking to gather military intelligence, CNN reported.

No matter what the objects are, whether terrestrial or extraterrestrial, the Senate Intelligence Committee voted earlier this year to have the Pentagon and the intelligence community release information about the flying objects after three videos were released by the military that showed Navy aircraft encountering the flying machines.

The military said the release of the videos was done to “clear up any misconceptions” about whether the video was real, The New York Times reported.

The aircraft were recorded using infrared cameras and on the recordings, one of the voices heard talking about one of the objects speculates it could have been a drone because of how fast it was moving.

One is shown rotating against the wind, the Times reported. Navy pilots said the aircraft, which were recorded in late 2004 and early 2015, seemed to defy the laws of physics.

Reports from the Navy Safety Center said of an incident from March 26, 2014, “The unknown aircraft appeared to be small in size, approximately the size of a suitcase, and silver in color.”

It was called, instead of a UFO, an “Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)” or the Pentagon’s term for a drone.

The Pentagon had in the past examined recordings of encounters with unknown objects through a classified program launched in 2007. The former head of the program, Luis Elizondo, said he believes “there is very compelling evidence that we may not be alone.” the program was ended in 2012 to redirect funding to other priorities, CNN reported.