Recall alert: Walmart recalls Better Homes and Gardens essential oil spray due to deadly bacteria

Walmart and the Consumer Product Safety Commission have announced the recall of an aromatherapy room spray because it could have a deadly bacteria in it.

>> Read more trending news

Tests done by the CPSC have found that a bottle of the Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones had the bacteria burkholderia pseudomallei.

They are normally found in contaminated soil and water in Southeast Asia or northern Australia, NBC News reported.

The bacteria can cause melioidosis, which can be fatal, the CPSC reported.

There have been four confirmed cases of the illness and two deaths in the U.S. including one in Georgia, WSBTV reported.

The source of the infections has not been found but in one of the deaths, a bottle of the room spray that had the bacteria was found at the person’s home.

About 3,900 bottles of the room spray have been sold at about 55 Walmart locations in the country between February and October, according to the CPSC.

They cost about $4 each.

The products were made in Inda, WSB reported.

The following scents with related product numbers are part of the recall:

ScentProduct number
Lavender & Chamomile84140411420
Lemon and Mandarin84140411421
Lavender84140411422
Peppermint84140411423
Lime & Eucalyptus84140411424
Sandalwood and Vanilla84140411425

If you have the spray, you are told to stop using it, but don’t throw it away, according to the CPSC.

Instead, the CPSC said, you should double-bag the bottle in clear zip-top resealable bags, then put them in a small cardboard box to return the spray to a Walmart location.

Wash wherever the spray had been deposited using normal laundry detergent and dry completely in a hot dryer.

Use an undiluted disinfectant cleaner to wipe down counters and surfaces that may have gotten some of the room spray on them.

Minimize handling of the product and wash hands after handling it and any linens.

If you have used it in the past 21 days and have developed a fever or other symptoms, call a doctor about the possible exposure.