Trump asked senior advisers about options for possible attack on Iran nuclear site, reports say

What You Need To Know: Iranian President Hassan Rouhani

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump inquired about possible options for attacking a nuclear site in Iran during a meeting with top advisers last week, multiple news outlets are reporting.

The New York Times, citing “four current and former U.S. officials,” reported Monday that the discussion occurred Thursday during a meeting in the Oval Office. Vice President Mike Pence, Acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley warned Trump against taking military action, saying such a strike could provoke further conflict, the Times reported. Following the meeting, a strike no longer appeared to be under consideration, officials told the newspaper.

Content Continues Below

The Wall Street Journal, also citing unnamed officials, later confirmed the Times' report.

The meeting came one day after the International Atomic Energy Agency reported Iran has stockpiled 12 times more uranium than what the 2015 nuclear deal had allowed, according to the Times. Trump withdrew from that agreement three years later, the newspaper reported.

President-elect Joe Biden has said he supports bringing back the Iran nuclear deal, with conditions, according to the Journal.

Read more here or here.