Wildfires burn millions of acres every year.
Here are some facts you may not know about wildfires:
1. On average, 1.2 million acres of U.S. woodland burn every year.
2. More than four out of five wildfires are started by man – either through carelessness or on purpose.
3. Certain pinecones only release their seeds when they are opened by fire.
4. If a wildfire is large enough, it is capable of creating its own weather conditions.
5. Forest fires move uphill faster than they do downhill.
6. Wildfires can start when accumulated dead forest matter piled together creates enough heat to spontaneously combust.
7. Thirty-eight states have areas of risk for wildfires.
8. Wildfires can produce fire “tornadoes.”
©2021 Cox Media Group