BUTLER COUNTY, Pa. - A lit cigarette may be the cause of an apartment fire that took place in Butler County Wednesday evening, investigators said.
Jackson Township Police said that Donald Sutch, 53, was the only one who died in the blaze, while one was treated for smoke inhalation and a firefighter was treated for exhaustion.
Police also said that Sutch was a smoker and that the fire is believed to have started near a couch in the living room.
When police arrived at the apartment building on German Street about 8:30 p.m., smoke could be seen coming from the rear of the building, which houses 15 people.
Janine Barkley, the aunt of one of the residents, said she rushed to the scene as soon as she heard about the fire.
“I didn’t see any lights on, and I didn’t see anything going on. I didn’t see any cars and I wanted to make sure she was okay,” Barkley said.
The American Red Cross is providing the victims of the fire with food, clothing, and a place to stay.
Investigators believe cigarette sparked fire that killed Jackson Twp. man
Metro Atlanta man set to cash in on extremely rare baseball card
Third Hernandez suicide note addressed to inmate, lawyer says
Todd Chrisley and his wife owe the state nearly $800,000, documents say
Man trying to find owner of black and white pictures found in St.…