Updated:STEUBENVILLE, Oh. —
The attorney for a teenager featured in a leaked online video about an alleged sexual assault in Jefferson County held a news conference Monday to discuss the video.
The teen's attorney discussed details of the video, which was posted on the Internet last week. In the video, a male is seen joking and giving commentary of events alleged to have happened leading up to charges in a Steubenville teen rape case.
The attorney, Dennis McNamara, called the video “insensitive, disappointing and unfortunate.”
McNamara also said his client didn’t know the alleged victim. He said his client is ashamed and embarrassed at what happened.
“There’s no excuse or justification for the comments and jokes (my client) made on the video, and with some sober reflection, he is embarrassed and ashamed to hear them himself,” McNamara said.
The teen repeatedly refers to the young female accuser as "dead" and compares her condition at the time to various famous dead persons. The word "rape" is also used several times.
“(My client) is a really good kid from a really good family who did a really dumb thing,” McNamara said. “He was not raised to act in this manner.”
The person in the video was not at the news conference.
“He sincerely regrets his behavior and his comments and its effects on all parties involved, including his own family," McNamara said.
McNamara said his client was cleared by Steubenville police months ago because he never took part in or witnessed the alleged assault.
The video moved from online media to mainstream broadcast media after it was posted online. Thursday morning, CNN aired a portion of the video.
According to McNamara, hackers reactivated his client’s Twitter and Facebook accounts to get access to the video. He said his client’s email and his family’s email accounts were also hacked.
State investigators and prosecutors said they have seen the video, but it is not clear if it will be a part of February's trial against the two defendants charged with rape.
Another question lingering is if there is a potential for a change of venue in the teen rape case, as the attorney for one of the two teens charged said he wants the case moved out of Jefferson County.
Adam Nemann told CNN he wants the trial delayed and moved because of publicity and "perceived threats" against witnesses, defendants and defense attorneys.
The case is scheduled for trial Feb. 13-15 in Jefferson County Juvenile Court, however, there will be no jury. An out-of-town judge who has handled this case from very early stages will decide the verdict.
Attorney calls video referencing teen rape ‘insensitive, disappointing,…
Police search for man they believe burglarized multiple storage units
Police: Elderly siblings who died had fallen; autopsies set
Family, police seek information in death of Allenport woman
Residents return home after gas line leak