Channel 11 Emails...

Delivered To Your Inbox

Police: Man admits to secretly taping women for 4 months



GREENSBURG, Pa. - A Greensburg man, who was arrested on charges of secretly videotaping a Unity woman outside her home as she took a shower, admitted he had been secretly taping women for about four months until a neighbor of the latest victim tackled him, police said.

Investigators said Bill Koutsky, who lives in the Lawson Heights neighborhood, spotted 57-year-old John Miller Jr. outside a woman's window around 8 p.m. Thursday. Koutsky told police he went outside to investigate.

“I was standing, looking in this direction and the guy was behind this house here looking in the window,” Koutsky told Channel 11’s Jennifer Tomazic.

Trooper Patrick Ciriello said in an affidavit that Koutsky told detectives he saw Miller “standing on a sawhorse videotaping someone in the bathroom.”

“He was still looking in the window, with the camera, taking pictures and video,” Koutsky said.

Koutsky tackled Miller and held him until officers arrived, police said.

“He jumped down and started to run. I chased after him and was able to get him. We both went down to the ground,” Koutsky said.

Miller told police he would often park his car in the parking lot of Sharky's Restaurant, off Route 30, in the evenings and then look through the neighborhood for potential victims, the affidavit said.

Miller “confessed that he had been videotaping women both naked and clothed at several houses in the Lawson Heights area for at least four months,” Ciriello wrote in the court document.

Police said there might be at least six other victims. Miller's cellphone, which was seized by police, will be examined by forensic experts.

Miller, who previously lived in New Kensington, was arraigned before District Judge Michael Mahady Friday morning on charges of loitering and prowling and criminal trespass.

He is being held in the Westmoreland County Prison on $10,000 bond. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 31.

Miller has a prior record of similar incidents. He was convicted in a similar case in 2003. He served nine years in prison for that incident and a series of burglaries, according to court records.

Channel 11’s news exchange partners at TribLIVE contributed to this report.