DA plans to meet with owner of South Side bar, prepares petition to shut it down after woman’s rape

This browser does not support the video element.

PITTSBURGH — The Allegheny County District Attorney is taking the first step in trying to shut down a South Side bar where a woman says she had been drinking hours before she was raped.

One day after accusing Capo’s Bar on East Carson Street of contributing to the rape of an intoxicated woman, District Attorney Stephen Zappala is preparing to take action.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE >>> DA’s office considering action against South Side bar after woman was raped

Zappala announced Friday afternoon that he’s gearing up to potentially file a petition against Capo’s Bar to cease operations.

This comes after he criticized the bar for removing the intoxicated woman and not making sure she was safe.

The bar told us earlier this week that the woman wasn’t there that night, but according to police, the woman was in the bar and later escorted out. Police say she was then taken by a man just outside the bar to a parking lot just across the street where she was raped.

“She’s visibly intoxicated. She’s let out of that establishment by security. They don’t take care of her. She winds up in the hands of a rapist.” Zappala said on Thursday.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE >>> Man accused of brazen sexual assault on Pittsburgh’s South Side

Police say it was all caught on surveillance video, and the suspect, Larry Pappy Johnson, was arrested the other day in New York City on Thursday.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE >>> Man accused of raping woman on Pittsburgh’s South Side taken into custody in New York

On Friday, Zappala said the Nuisance Bar Task Force is set to meet with the bar owner next Tuesday to discuss terms of remediation.

He says if that meeting doesn’t go well, he’s ready to file the petition to get the bar shut down.

Download the FREE WPXI News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Channel 11 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch WPXI NOW