Oakmont Borough unanimously approves new policies following controversial ICE arrest

This browser does not support the video element.

OAKMONT, Pa. — Oakmont Borough Council unanimously approved two actions Tuesday night in response to last month’s controversial detainment of resident Jose Flores by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE >>> Officials demand answers after Oakmont resident arrested by ICE

The first action formally establishes an official borough policy stating Oakmont will not engage in enforcement of non-criminal federal immigration laws, and will not enter into any ICE 287(g) agreements that would deputize local police to perform federal immigration enforcement functions under federal oversight.

The resolution also reaffirms that the borough’s police department will continue enforcing all applicable local, state and federal laws, and respects constitutional protections against unreasonable search and seizure.

Claudia Detwiler, who moved to Oakmont less than a year ago, told council members she supports changes to immigration enforcement policies in the borough.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE >>> Oakmont Bakery owner questioning why ICE took his employee into custody

“That just has to end. The whole structure just needs to be completely redesigned,” Detwiler said. “There’s so many things wrong with the structure of ICE and all the other related organizations that are taking over the streets.”

Borough Manager Scot Fodi said council had previously discussed whether taking formal action on immigration policy could put a “bullseye” on the borough — a concern sharpened after ICE agents detained Flores Friday, January 29 outside his home in Oakmont.

“When some activity like this happens, the general public looks for leadership to take position,” Fodi said.

Fodi clarified that local law enforcement will still assist federal authorities in cases involving criminal activity.

Council members also voted to send a letter to ICE Acting Director Todd Lyons asking for answers about Flores’ detainment.

“He had all the legal, proper paperwork and was doing nothing illegally,” Fodi said.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE >>> Oakmont resident released from ICE detention

Fodi added this is the first time the borough has had an incident involving the Department of Homeland Security.

One council member also proposed adding Customs and Border Protection agents to the resolution.

Download the FREE WPXI News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Channel 11 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch WPXI NOW