PITTSBURGH — Big crowds are expected in downtown Pittsburgh Saturday night for the 61st annual Light Up Night.
Light Up Night events include a performance by Joan Jett and Zambelli fireworks show.
Here’s what you need to know if you’re planning to attend:
When & Where
The main event on takes place along Fort Duquesne Boulevard from Stanwix Street to Seventh Street, Stanwix and Liberty, Penn Avenue and Sixth Street, and Fifth Street at Liberty.
- Peoples Gas Holiday Market in Market Square opens daily at 11 a.m. from Nov. 18 through Dec. 24.
- Light Up Night
- 5 p.m. City of Pittsburgh Tree Lighting with Zambelli Rooftop Fireworks at the City-County Building
- 6 p.m. Highmark Christmas Tree Lighting with Zambelli Rooftop Fireworks
- 8:30 p.m. Joan Jett takes the stage
- 9:30 p.m. Xfinity Fireworks Spectacular with Supersized Zambelli Finale
Some holiday festivities also kick off Friday night with the lighting of the Christmas tree at UPMC Rink at PPG Place and the Grand Opening of the Peoples Gas Holiday Market.
The following safety measures have been put into place, according to Pittsburgh Public Safety:
- Pittsburgh police officers are assigned to 12-hour shifts and will be working with state police, Allegheny County and Port Authority police.
- There will a mounted unit with as many as 17 horses.
- Temporary light towers will be in place.
- Pittsburgh EMS will provide extra medic units, including motorcycles, in case of medical emergencies. River Rescue crews will patrol the rivers to provide added security.
- Pittsburgh fire will oversee the fireworks grand finale by Zambelli at the Allegheny Overlook on Fort Duquesne Boulevard, after which police will help direct attendees to the main exit route from the event along Liberty Avenue.
Road closures and parking restrictions will begin at 6 p.m. Friday in the areas bordering the main event along Fort Duquesne Boulevard from Stanwix Street to Seventh Street.
©2022 Cox Media Group