Top Stories

Man arrested for homicide in death of girlfriend’s 3-year-old son

PITTSBURGH — A man was arrested and has been charged with homicide after a 3-year-old boy, who was found unresponsive and rushed to the hospital, died late Wednesday night.

“She said he’s brain-dead almost completely. They are letting us pull the plug. Doing memorial stuff now,” said Aiden Lombardi’s grandmother, Pamela Brand.

The pain this family is experiencing is overwhelming. Lombardi’s family told Channel 11 he was a special, lovable little boy.

“He has these big, bright brown eyes and his long eyelashes and the most captivating smile,” Brand said.

Brand said the family can’t wrap their head around what police said happened. She flew from Florida after learning Lombardi was rushed to the hospital.

Court documents said Lombardi’s mother left home briefly Tuesday night. She told investigators she had to drop off her friend’s children and didn’t bring her son because she didn’t have enough car seats. Moments later, she said her boyfriend, Tyler Mason, called her and said her son wasn’t breathing.

Paramedics told police bruises could be seen all over the boy’s body. They told police the boy was “completely unresponsive and had no pulse.” Doctors believe Lombardi’s injuries were intentional.

Mason is in jail, facing a number of charges, including criminal homicide.

“Aiden loved him. Aiden adored him,” said Lombardi’s aunt, Emmalee Cannada.

Mason told police Lombardi was fussy while they were alone and that he gave the boy water followed by milk. He said after that, he noticed blood and a chewed French fry near the boy’s mouth, and the boy was unresponsive. He believed Lombardi was choking.

Neighbors told investigators they heard a child screaming in pain multiple times that night.

Lombardi was on life support, and his family has decided to donate his organs. He was on a ventilator to preserve them for as long as possible.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help the family with funeral expenses (CLICK HERE).