WEST MIFFLIN, Pa. — A new waterslide will be part of a huge improvement plan at Sandcastle Water Park for the 2022 season.
The park announced the multi-million dollar plan on Friday.
The new waterslide is called “Bombs Away,” and is a high altitude, free-fall body slide. “Riders will step into an enclosed launch capsule while taking in serene views from the park’s highest point. As the countdown hits zero, the floor suddenly vanishes, propelling riders at a jaw-dropping 26 feet per second down 300 feet of soaking, splashing fun,” the park described the ride in a release.
On top of the new water slide, here are improvements that are being made all around the park:
- Mon Tsunami Wave Pool – A new stone façade creates an illusion of rocky cliffs, while a new waterfall feature cascades below during wave sequences;
- The Boardwalk – Boasting one of the best views of the Monongahela River in the entire city, Sandcastle’s Boardwalk bursts with new life. A steel archway with illuminated, dimensional lettering marks the new start of the Boardwalk, creating a unique arrival statement. All light posts have been updated to gooseneck lighting, while string lights illuminate the evening pathways;
- Food & Beverage Enhancements – New, mouthwatering menu items are on the way to tickle the taste buds, and visually enhanced stands will sport new, engaging signage and refreshed color palettes to embody a modern, seaside feel;
- Mushroom Pool – A sleek, modern look makes the Mushroom Pool the perfect place for riverside relaxation. Enjoy a new, large, painted mural along the pool’s back wall, situated beneath colorful horizontal slats. Combined with the Mushroom Pool’s picturesque view of the Monongahela River and wooded hillside, a summer day has never been more relaxing;
- Sandbox – One thing is for sure: there won’t be any shortages of Sandcastles this summer. An all-new 2,000 sq. ft. play place dedicated to building incredible sand sculptures will be available right off the boardwalk! Plus, an oversized Adirondack chair offers the perfect sharable moment with friends and family;
- Cocomo Joe’s and Sandbar – These two walk-up bar locations inspire an energetic beach vibe thanks to new, vibrant colors and textures added in to the bar’s seating and backdrops; and
- Park Landscaping – New foliage, flowers, and ornamental grass can be found in and surrounding the park to make for an awe-inspiring transformation.
The park said all of the waterslides will also be completely restored with new paint jobs.
It also announced a lineup of events for the upcoming season:
- June 4 – June 26: Daily operations kick off with Out of School, Into the Pool! Summer vacation has officially begun, and Sandcastle is the perfect staycation spot with fun activities every day like scavenger hunts, balloon artists, ice cream eating contests, and popular TV show characters;
- July 1 - 31: Last year’s wildly successful Jammin’ July returns for another season, once again featuring a local entertainment lineup headlining Pittsburgh’s most unique concert venue. July also brings a special celebration over the extended Independence Day holiday weekend including an antique car show and visits by Uncle Sam and the Statue of Liberty;
- August 5 – September 17: Close out summer in style with a new festival-like experience, Sandcastle’s Food And Cocktail Frenzy. Find local breweries, food trucks, DJ’s and more for a star-studded splash on Friday and Saturday evenings; and
- August 26 – September 16: Paying homage to the old Sandbar from the 90′s, nightlife returns to Sandcastle for Friday Night Swim Under the Lights, an all-new event where guests can swim under the stars and enjoy a late night beverage.
©2022 Cox Media Group