FDA expands pet food recall after 70 dogs die from eating it

FDA expands Sportmix pet food recall after at least 70 dogs die after eating it

The Food and Drug Administration has expanded a recall on certain bags of Sportmix pet food sold nationally after 70 dogs died from eating it and another 80 were sickened.

Update 9:15 a.m. ET Jan. 13: The food, manufactured by Midwestern Pet Foods, contains high levels of aflatoxin, a poison produced naturally by fungus and found in certain vegetables like corn. Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning include lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea.,

The dog food was first recalled Dec. 30. The FDA expanded the recall on Monday.

Content Continues Below

“This is an ongoing investigation,” the agency said. “Case counts and the scope of this recall may expand as new information becomes available.”

Original report: The Food and Drug Administration has recalled certain bags of Sportmix pet food sold nationally after 28 dogs died and eight others became sick from eating it.

The food contains high levels of aflatoxin, a poison produced naturally by fungus and found in certain vegetables like corn. Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning include lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea.

No illness has been reported in cats or humans.

The food was sold online and in stores across the country. Retailers are asked not to sell or donate the products and to pull the bags from shelves.

Pet owners who purchased the recalled food should discard the food so children, pets and wildlife can’t access it.

The recall covers:

50-pound bags of Sportmix Energy Plus:

Exp 03/02/22 05/L2

Exp 03/02/22 05/L3

Exp 03/03/22 05/L2

44-pound bag Sportmix Energy Plus

Exp 03/02/22 05/L3

50-pound bag Sportmix Premium High Energy

Exp 03/03/22 05/L3

44-pound bag of Sportmix Premium High Energy

Exp 03/03/22 05/L3

31-pound bag of Sportmix Original Cat

Exp 03/03/22 05/L3

15-pound bags of Sportmix Original Cat

Exp 03/03/22 05/L2

Exp 03/03/22 05/L3