Russia on Thursday launched an invasion of Ukraine after weeks of rising tension between the two countries.
Statements from Russian President Vladimir Putin and President Joe Biden paint a dim picture for residents in this eastern European country.
People in the U.S. reading about and watching television coverage of the wide-ranging attack may be wondering how they can help the people in Ukraine who are caught in the middle.
Several organizations are already offering ways for people to help Ukrainian citizens. A list put together by Ukrainians shows several organizations where people can send assistance to the Ukrainian army and the nation’s citizens.
As with any online donating effort, people should check to be sure the organization is legitimate. Scams invariably pop up in times of tragedy, so it is a good idea to do some research.
Nonprofit watchdog groups such as Charity Navigator, Guidestar and Charity Watch rate nonprofit organizations on their financial transparency, what is spent on fundraisers and how much goes toward helping the people the charity is supposed to benefit.
Here is a list:
- The International Committee of the Red Cross works toward helping people affected by the invasion and is supporting the efforts of the Ukrainian Red Cross.
- Nova Ukraine is a 501(c)(3) registered nonprofit organization that delivers humanitarian aid to Ukraine. According to its website, the organization has collected more than $500,000 in donations since December 2013.
- People of Ukraine is a U.S.-based foundation that seeks to aid families affected by the attacks. According to the organization’s website, its mission statement says its goal is “to promote the unique culture, talent and potential of modern Ukraine in the U.S. and Ukraine.” The organization, founded in 2016, is based in Washington D.C. and is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charity.
- Revived Soldiers Ukraine is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. According to its website, the organization provides medical aid and sustainable living standards to soldiers of Ukraine and their families. The original thrust of the organization was to provide for people affected by the military conflict in 2013.
- Razom for Ukraine is a nonprofit organization that supports the people of Ukraine in their pursuit of a democratic society. In addition to accepting donations, the group is urging people to write to their representatives in Washington and express their concerns. The group was founded in 2014.
- Support Hospitals in Ukraine sends modern medical equipment and supplies from the U.S. On its website, the organization said it has sent $4.05 million to Ukraine since 2014.
- United Help Ukraine, Inc. is a nonprofit charitable organization receiving and distributing donations, food and medical supplies to Ukrainian IDPs (internally displaced people). In a Facebook post, the organization is working to provide first aid kits and other emergency medical supplies to the front lines.
- Voices of Children helps children affected by the war in eastern Ukraine. The organization’s goal, according to its website, is that “every child who has suffered from the war in Ukraine must get psychological help in time.”
- International Rescue Committee helps families in conflict zones around the world, including Ukraine.
©2022 Cox Media Group