WAYNE, N.J. — Five years after filing for bankruptcy, iconic toy retailer Toys ‘R’ Us has launched its first wave of new in-store locations expected to reach 451 Macy’s stores nationwide.
The toy store giant filed for bankruptcy in 2017 and closed all locations the following year as declining sales hit brick-and-mortar locations hard.
The brand’s resurrection began three years later, however, when Macy’s announced a partnership with Toys ‘R’ Us parent company, WHP Global, in summer 2021, Fox Business reported.
The legacy retailer then upped the ante in July 2022, when it announced plans to house an inner Toys ‘R’ Us shop in every brick-and-mortar Macy’s by mid-October.
According to Consumer Affairs, the in-store revival is being punctuated by a nine-day sales event, honoring both the brand’s triumphant return and the birthday of longtime store mascot Geoffrey the Giraffe. The concerted re-opening push is intended to help the toy brand snag a bigger piece of the holiday shopping season pie in the wake of recent major sales events hosted by retail giants Walmart, Amazon, Target and Kohl’s.
In turn, the nationwide re-openings began Saturday, and only five states are currently lacking a Macy’s-Toys ‘R’ Us combo: Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Mississippi, Nebraska and Wyoming, Fox Business reported.
According to Consumer Affairs, the following events remain scheduled to honor the grand re-openings:
- Monday, Oct. 17: Geoffrey’s Birthday – Kids can create a Geoffrey picture frame and get Disney- and Lego-themed giveaways.
- Tuesday, Oct. 18: National Geographic STEM Day – Kids will receive a Mini Fools Gold Kit to excavate a gem to take home.
- Wednesday, Oct. 19: Rainbow Loom Day. Kids can make rainbow loom bracelets in store to take home.
- Thursday, Oct. 20: Play-Doh Day – Kids can get Play-Doh giveaways and play with new Play-Doh sets in store.
- Friday, Oct. 21: Pokemon Day – Kids will get Pokemon activity packs to play with in store.
- Saturday, Oct. 22: Lego Day – Lego sets will be available to play with in-store, and kids will have the chance to receive Lego-themed giveaways.
- Sunday, Oct. 23: L.O.L. Surprise! Day – L.O.L Surprise! activity and coloring pages, as well as giveaways, will be available for kids in-store.
According to Fox Business, each new Toys ‘R’ Us shop will feature “playful colored fixtures, hands-on demonstration tables for customers to interact with various toy assortments and a life-size “Geoffrey on a Bench” photo opportunity for families.”
©2022 Cox Media Group