DETROIT - Construction workers found 11 infants hidden in the ceiling of a closed funeral home in Detroit Friday night, according to police.
Authorities said the workers found the bodies Friday at the Cantrell Funeral Home on the city’s east side. Police said nine of the bodies were found in a cardboard box and two were found in caskets.
- Young boy brutally beaten on bus, mother says attacker should be charged
- Skylights 2018: Week 7 high school football scores
- 'He was my best friend': Wife mourns husband's death on Mister Rogers movie set
- VIDEO: Florida Bus Driver Gets Bus Stuck In Pool
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Detroit police have ordered a search of the building to ensure there are no additional bodies inside.
According to WDIV-TV, the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) had suspended the mortuary in April after discovering several violations to include decomposing remains.
Violations also included two improperly stored bodies covered in what appeared to be mold and a third body with unknown fluids covering the facial area.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.