PITTSBURGH - It’s Great Race weekend in Pittsburgh!
The Dollar Bank Junior Great Race and the Richard S. Caliguiri City of Pittsburgh Great Race presented by Blue Cross Blue Shield will be held on the same weekend for the first time in 20 years.
More than 12,000 runners and walkers from 34 states and five countries will take part in the races this weekend.
- Woman faces $10K fine, 4 years' prison for 4 extra tires
- Woman hit by car hospitalized in critical condition
- Grandfather dies cushioning grandson as Jeep falls 150 feet off mountain cliff
- VIDEO: Grandfather saves boy when Jeep goes over cliff
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Here’s the schedule of events for the weekend:
FRIDAY, SEPT. 28
2 p.m. - 8p.m.: Great Race Expo presented by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, Hall D, David L. Lawrence Convention Center
SATURDAY, SEPT. 29
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.: Great Race Expo presented by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, Hall D, David L. Lawrence Convention Center
Downtown road closures for the Junior Great Race will start at 10 a.m. on Saturday.
- The city side of Fort Duquesne Boulevard from Commonwealth Place to 7th Street will be closed until 12 p.m., but the other side will remain open to vehicles.
- Stanwix Street, Cecil Place and 6th Street will be closed between Fort Duquesne Boulevard and Penn Avenue until 12 p.m.
- Commonwealth Place will not reopen until 1 p.m.
11 a.m.: Dollar Bank Junior Great Race, Point State Park
SUNDAY, SEPT. 30
Road closures for the Great Race will start at 6:30 a.m. and continue through 11 a.m. on Sunday. Streets in the Downtown, Uptown, Oakland and Squirrel Hill neighborhoods will be impacted.
- Beechwood Blvd to Forbes Ave & Morewood Ave will be closed from 8:30 a.m. - 10 a.m.
- Forbes & Morewood Ave to Fifth Ave & Bigelow Blvd will be closed from 8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
- Fifth Ave & Bigelow Blvd to Fifth Ave & ramp to Blvd of the Allies will be closed from 6:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
- Fifth Ave & ramp to Blvd of the Allies to Commonwealth Place & Liberty Ave will be closed from 6:30 a.m. - 11 a.m.
Richard S. Caliguiri City of Pittsburgh Great Race presented by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
- 7:45 a.m.: 5K Wheelchair Division start, Fifth & Atwood, Oakland
- 8 a.m.: 5K Run & Walk start, Fifth & Atwood, Oakland
- 9:15 a.m.: 10K Wheelchair Division start, Beechwood Boulevard, Frick Park
- 9:30 a.m.: 10K Run start, Beechwood Boulevard, Frick Park
- 11 a.m.: Award Ceremony and Raffle, Main Stage, Point State Park
The Great Race is a 10K race that was established by the late Mayor Richard S. Caliguiri in 1977. More than 250,000 runners have participated in the race over the past 40 years.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.