PITTSBURGH — A violent Pittsburgh neighborhood gang was busted during an FBI and police raid in Hazelwood early Thursday morning.
The gang, known as the “Hazelwood Mob,” was dismantled after a four-month-long investigation into violence and drug trafficking in the neighborhood. The indictment charged 25 people with drug trafficking and firearm violations, the Department of Justice announced. Investigators said they used wire taps and tips from the community to identify who was involved and what their role was in the organization.
Channel 11 was there as Pittsburgh police raided two houses along Second Avenue in Hazelwood around 6 a.m.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WPXI apps for alerts as news breaks]
The “Hazelwood Mob” is responsible for an increase in violent crime in the neighborhood, including murder, shootings, and illegal drug distribution, according to the Pittsburgh FBI. They reportedly help flood the streets with fentanyl, heroin and cocaine.
The first Indictment, returned on August 31 unsealed today, names the following 24 people as defendants in a conspiracy to distribute drugs:
- Joshua Yarbough, 36, of Hazelwood
- Asia Andrews, 26, of McKees Rocks
- Justin Bailey, 34, of Braddock
- James Correll, 30, of Hazelwood
- Javon Grant, 20, of Hazelwood
- Gregory Griffin, 45, of Mount Oliver
- Neil Harris, 36, of Hazelwood
- Jasson Hart, 19, of Hazelwood
- Vernessa Hines, 37, of Hazelwood
- Taemon Johnson, 20, of Hazelwood
- Otis Mickens, 42, of Arlington
- Delrico Shields, 25, of Hazelwood
- Steve Smith, 30, of Hazelwood
- Cameron Snow, 23, of Hazelwood
- Aronde Stamps-Howard, 21, of Hazelwood
- Rich Stanford, 57, of Pittsburgh
- Ronald Stanford, 34, of McKeesport
- Lawrence Strothers, Sr., 38, of Hazelwood
- Michael Strothers, Jr., 25, of Hazelwood
- Michael Strothers, Sr., 48, of Hazelwood
- Moniem Strothers, 22, of Hazelwood
- William Thomas, 43, of Pittsburgh’s Hill District
- Dorian Wood, 40, of Clairton
- Jemeal Youngblood, 24, of Sheraden/Hazelwood
©2021 Cox Media Group