MARS, Pa. - The Mars Area School District will be closed Friday due to “rumors of possible violence.”
According to a letter from Superintendent Wesley Shipley, the Adams Township Police Department hasn’t been able to substantiate the rumors, but the investigation is on-going.
On Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, Mars Area High School was evacuated due to bomb threats. On both days, students were allowed to return after police checked the building and found nothing.
Shipley said that out of an abundance of caution, the district is closing its schools Friday and canceling all on-campus activities.
- 3 more suspected cases of polio-like disease being treated
- Police searching for second suspect in New Castle triple homicide
- WATCH: Woman abandons toddler on doorstep, drives away
- VIDEO: Beer shortage from climate change
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The varsity football game, which is scheduled to take place at Kiski Area High School, will take place.
“The District strives to remain proactive in the protection of our students, faculty and staff members,” Shipley said in the letter.
Shipley said transportation to private and parochial schools provided by the district will go on as scheduled.
Bethel Park School District will also be closed Friday due to a threat of violence.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.