Top Stories

Pitt basketball player suspended after allegedly assaulting officer in Pittsburgh’s South Side

PITTSBURGH — A University of Pittsburgh basketball player has been suspended indefinitely after he was charged with allegedly assaulting a police officer in Pittsburgh’s South Side early Saturday morning.

The incident occurred in the 1700 block of E. Carson St. just after 1 a.m., police said.

Officers responded to a call from a tow truck driver, who was attempting to tow a vehicle and the owner had become “extremely angry.”

The owner, identified as Ithiel Horton, 21, of New Jersey, then punched a responding officer in the face, causing a laceration to his lip. He then ran from the officer before being arrested.

He was charged with aggravated assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness, and is currently being held in the Allegheny County Jail.

Also arrested was Michelle Pilyugin, 19, of New York. She was charged with false identification to law enforcement, disorderly conduct, two counts of carrying a false identification card, public drunkenness, and underage drinking.

Horton is a a redshirt third-year guard and Pitt’s leading returning scorer from last season, with an 8.9 points-per-game average and a shooting percentage of 37.1 beyond the 3-point range. He appeared in all 22 games and started 18, according to our partners at The Trib.

Horton transferred to Pitt from Delaware in 2019 and sat out that season due to NCAA transfer rules at the time.

The Pitt athletic department issued the following statement Sunday: “We are aware of a report regarding one of our student-athletes, but will decline comment until additional information is gathered.”

Horton has been suspended indefinitely the university released on Monday.

“Due to the nature of the incident involving Horton, he is suspended automatically from practice and competition privileges until the legal process has been completed to the satisfaction of the University,” a press release states.

University officials, including head coach Jeff Capel, are not able to comment on the situation until it has been resolved, the release states.