Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier is engaging in a regular walking routine after regaining movement in his legs, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Sources familiar with Shazier's recovery told Schefter he is making "incredible progress."
Steelers’ LB Ryan Shazier has regained movement in legs, is walking and making “incredible progress.”... https://t.co/6VJzbyy5yB— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 4, 2018
Shazier was released from the Rehabilitation Institute at UPMC Mercy on Thursday.
Despite several reports suggesting Shazier was walking on his own, ESPN’s Michelle Tafoya issued an update after speaking with “someone who is in regular contact with Shazier.”
In a Twitter post, Tafoya reported that source told her Shazier is not walking on his own. According to Tafoya’s source, Shazier still needs “assistance from a walker or other people to support him in his rehabilitation walking.”
According to Tafoya, walking “remains a struggle” for Shazier.
- Firefighters on scene of New Kensington house fire
- Snow moving through the area; weather advisories in effect
- Selfie kid from Super Bowl halftime becomes internet search sensation
- VIDEO: Eagles Beat Patriots in Super Bowl LII
Shazier suffered a spinal injury in December while making a tackle against the Cincinnati Bengals.
He underwent spinal stabilization surgery several days later at UPMC.
In an interview with Channel 11's Lisa Sylvester, Shazier's dad Vernon said his son has feeling in his legs. Vernon Shazier believes Ryan will play football again.
The 25-year-old says he is "working harder than ever" to get back.
- VisitPittsburgh sets up giant 'get well' card for fans to sign for Shazier
- Steelers' Ryan Shazier officially out for the season
- Report: Steelers' Shazier showing gradual improvements after spinal surgery
- 'It's just weird'; Steelers rallying around injured Ryan Shazier
- Pittsburgh mayor, former president of United States send well wishes to Shazier
- Roethlisberger reacts to Shazier injury, Smith-Schuster suspension
- 5 things to know about spine condition affecting Steelers' Ryan Shazier
© 2018 Cox Media Group.