Carbon monoxide blamed for tourists’ deaths at Bahamas resort, reports say

GREAT EXUMA, Bahamas — Carbon monoxide poisoning is being blamed for the recent deaths of three American tourists at a Bahamas resort, multiple news outlets are reporting.

>> Read more trending news

According to the Nassau Guardian and The Tribune, autopsy and toxicology reports are expected to be released soon in connection with the deaths of Vincent Paul Chiarella, 64, of Florida, and Tennessee couple Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65. The three, who had been staying in villas at Sandals Emerald Bay resort in Great Exuma, were found dead the morning of May 6, authorities said.

>> RELATED STORY: 3 American tourists found dead at Bahamas resort identified

A fourth tourist – Chiarella’s wife, Donnis, 65 – was flown to a Florida hospital in serious condition, Royal Bahamas police said at the time. She later recovered, according to The Patriot-News.

Both the Guardian and Tribune reported Monday that carbon monoxide caused the deaths.

Although local authorities previously completed autopsies on the victims, family members asked a Philadelphia lab to provide a separate analysis, Royal Bahamas police said last week.

Comments on this article