Six Flags Over Texas staffer, 6 guests treated for smoke inhalation

ARLINGTON, Texas — An electrical malfunction at Six Flags Over Texas injured one employee and sent six guests to area hospitals for treatment Sunday evening after smoke filled a ride building.

>> Read more trending news

The malfunction occurred inside a rollercoaster ride, MR. FREEZE: Reverse Blast, shortly after 6:30 p.m. local time, prompting responses from both the park’s safety team and the Arlington Fire Department, KXAS-TV reported.

Arlington fire officials stated in a Monday news release that firefighters arrived and found that a fire had already been extinguished by Six Flags staff, WFAA reported.

A Six Flags spokesperson told the TV station that guests and staff who were inside the building when the malfunction occurred were able to exit safely.

Park officials also confirmed to WFAA that a staff member was treated for a “minor” injury and that the guests were transported for treatment of smoke inhalation “out of an abundance of caution.”

A malfunction in a motor caused an internal electrical fire, which led to smoke filling the building, park officials confirmed to the TV station.