TikTok challenge sends teen to ICU with severe burns

PORTLAND, Ore. — A Portland, Oregon, teen is in the hospital after her family says she was recreating a TikTok fire challenge that ended up causing burns on her neck and arm.

>> Read more trending news

Destini Crane is in an intensive care unit recovering from the injuries.

Her family told KPTV that they think the 13-year-old was recording a video similar to one where a man sprayed hair spray on a mirror and lit it on fire.

It happened on May 13, ABC News reported.

“There was a capped bottle of alcohol sitting on the counter, and the whole side of it had busted open, and there was a lighter and a broken candle,” Destini’s sister Andrea Crane told KPTV. “So, that’s just kind of the conclusion we came to.”

Apparently, in the video, Destini was imitating a person who drew a shape on the mirror and then set the mirror on fire, ABC News reported.

After the fumes in the poorly ventilated space went up in flames, TikTok was still recording on Destini’s phone, her mother, Kimberly Crane, told ABC News.

The fire department is now investigating.

Destini was rushed to an area hospital and has since undergone a tracheotomy and skin grafts to her neck and arm, KPTV reported.

She’ll be moved to the burn unit eventually and faces months of recovery time, including rehabilitation, to be able to use her arm, shoulders and fingers again, ABC News reported.

Destini may not know how bad her injuries are yet because she’s been on pain medication.

“I know that when she wakes up and fully understands, she’s probably going to freak out,” Kimberly Crane told ABC News. “But honestly I think that she’s strong enough to get through it.”