PITTSBURGH — Another Pittsburgh Steelers legend will be enshrined in Canton, Ohio as a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
NFL officials announced Saturday that Troy Polamalu was among the five former players elected to the Class of 2020.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts for sports news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
The announcement comes 11 years to the day that Polamalu helped the Steelers win their sixth Super Bowl.
Polamalu joins fellow Pittsburgh greats Bill Cowher and Donnie Shell in this year’s hall-of-fame class. Cowher and Shell were both selected as part of the league’s Centennial Class in conjunction with the NFL’s 100th anniversary.
Fellow finalist Alan Faneca did not get elected to the Hall of Fame.
Linebacker T.J. Watt was up for Defensive Player of the Year at the annual NFL Honors awards show but was beaten by Patriots’ corner Stephon Gilmore.
Here was the full list of finalists for the 2020 class (HOF electees in bold):
- Steve Atwater, Safety – 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets
- Tony Boselli, Tackle – 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars
- Isaac Bruce, Wide Receiver – 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers
- LeRoy Butler, Safety – 1990-2001 Green Bay Packers
- Alan Faneca, Guard – 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals
- Torry Holt, Wide Receiver – 1999-2008 St. Louis Rams, 2009 Jacksonville Jaguars
- Steve Hutchinson, Guard – 2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans
- Edgerrin James, Running Back – 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks
- John Lynch, Free Safety – 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
- Sam Mills, Linebacker – 1986-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-97 Carolina Panthers
- Troy Polamalu, Safety – 2003-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers
- Richard Seymour, Defensive End/Defensive Tackle – 2001-08 New England Patriots, 2009-2012 Oakland Raiders
- Zach Thomas, Linebacker – 1996-2007 Miami Dolphins, 2008 Dallas Cowboys
- Reggie Wayne, Wide Receiver – 2001-2014 Indianapolis Colts
- Bryant Young, Defensive Tackle – 1994-2007 San Francisco 49ers
Beaver County native Jim Covert is also heading to the Hall as part of that centennial class.
- Pittsburgh Steelers among top franchises represented in NFL Hall of Fame
- Former Steeler Donnie Shell, Beaver County native Jim Covert heading to Hall of Fame
- Bill Cowher elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2020
© 2020 Cox Media Group