• Father talks about stove falling on 2-year-old son; Boy recovering in ICU


    SOMERSET COUNTY, Pa. - On Tuesday night, a father talked to Channel 11 about a stove falling on his 2-year-old son.

    "I thought for sure I was going to have to make a decision to do not resuscitate.  I didn't want him to be a long-term ventilator patient or anything like that," said Marc Jackson.

    Jackson was at the State Fire Academy on Monday when he got a call that his son, Marc Jackson Jr., was injured by an old stove at his family's Somerset County home.

    “It’s an old 70s-style stove built into the cabinetry.  It doesn’t have a base,” said Jackson.

    The stove was put in the family’s covered porch while the kitchen was being remodeled. 

    “Him being the curious little beaver that he is, he got out there, opened up the door, crawled up on it, changed the gravity and caused it to tip over on him,” said Jackson.

    The boy immediately went into respiratory distress and cardiac arrest.

    “He was all purple, had no heart rate and she (the boy’s mother) quickly brought him back," said Jackson.

    Marc Jackson Jr.’s mother is a nurse and did CPR.  She called 911 and got her son to the hospital right away.

    “It’s a freak accident, and we were fortunate enough that she was trained and there to do it,” said Jackson.

    Marc Jackson Jr. is expected to be OK.  He was recovering in the intensive care unit at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on Tuesday.  His dad said he miraculously didn’t suffer brain damage.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Father talks about stove falling on 2-year-old son; Boy recovering in ICU

  • Headline Goes Here

    Looking back at The Blizzard of '93

  • Headline Goes Here

    Teen "set-up" by man he met on Grindr, beaten in ruthless attack

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police need help identifying woman found dead inside mall

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: Child, 12, sent threat that closed Pennsylvania school district