Residents evacuated after fire breaks out at senior apartment building

Residents evacuated after fire breaks out at senior apartment building

SCOTTDALE, Pa. — Crews battled a fire Tuesday night at the Scottdale Manor senior apartment building on Pearl Street.

The call came in around 7:50 p.m. after a mattress caught fire on the second floor of the five-story building.

Content Continues Below

The fire was contained in one apartment, but smoke had to be ventilated from the building. Some residents were evacuated from their apartments.

You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts for Westmoreland County newsCLICK HERE to find out how.

One resident was taken to a hospital and at least five were displaced, according to Scottdale Fire Department assistant fire chief Ben Savanick. Residents will be allowed back into the top three stories of the building

The Red Cross confirmed they are assisting people who have been affected by the fire.

TRENDING NOW: