Walter Wallace Jr. shooting: Pennsylvania National Guard deployed to Philadelphia to deter rioting

PHILADELPHIA — More than two dozen police officers were injured during protests overnight after Philadelphia police shot and killed an armed Black man Monday afternoon, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news

Update 7:08 p.m. EDT Oct. 27: Gov. Tom Wolf activated the Pennsylvania National Guard early Tuesday evening and deployed them to Philadelphia ahead of what officials fear could become a second night of riots.

Lt. Col. Keith Hickox said in a statement issued Tuesday that several hundred guardsmen will assist local agencies in “protecting life, property and the right to peacefully assemble and protest.”

“We are able to conduct operations in support of civil authorities to enhance local law enforcement’s ability to provide continued public safety and critical infrastructure security,” Hickox added.

The Philadelphia Police Department will also intensify its presence across the city, city leaders told Fox News.

“For today and this evening, we anticipate the chance of additional incidents of civil unrest and, as such, we will be taking additional steps to ensure order,” Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said during a news conference, alongside Mayor Jim Kenney and other city leaders.

Original story: According to WCAU-TV, 30 officers, including one who was hospitalized after a vehicle struck her, were hurt during the protests, which erupted after police fatally shot 27-year-old Walter Wallace Jr. in West Philadelphia, authorities said.

Police said they responded to Locust Street about 4 p.m. Monday after receiving a report that a man was armed with a knife, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Authorities said the man, later identified as Wallace, ignored police orders to put down his knife and instead started to approach the officers, the newspaper reported. Two officers then opened fire, killing him, authorities said.

>> Click here to see bystander video of the incident (WARNING: Graphic content. Viewer discretion advised.)

In statements Monday evening, Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney and police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said the Police Department’s officer-involved shooting investigation unit would be reviewing the incident, WCAU reported.

“While at the scene this evening, I heard and felt the anger of the community,” Outlaw said in the statement. “Everyone involved will forever be impacted. I will be leaning on what the investigation gleans to answer the many unanswered questions that exist. I also plan to join the mayor in meeting with members of the community and members of Mr. Wallace’s family to hear their concerns as soon as it can be scheduled.”

Kenney expressed condolences to Wallace’s family and friends. He also said he has watched the viral video of the shooting, according to WCAU.

“I look forward to a speedy and transparent resolution for the sake of Mr. Wallace, his family, the officers and for Philadelphia,” Kenney said in the statement.

Protesters took to the streets following the deadly shooting, marching from Malcolm X Park to the Pine Street police station, according to the Inquirer. Later, many took to the city’s 52nd Street corridor, where police said looting and vandalism occurred, the newspaper reported.

During the unrest, someone set fire to a police car, and some demonstrators threw bricks and rocks at officers, according to WCAU. A truck also ran over a 56-year-old police sergeant, breaking her leg, authorities said.

Read more here or here.

Comments on this article