LAKE CHARLES, La. - A Texas driver and his passenger died after they tried to jump the ramps on an open drawbridge in Louisiana, officials said.
Witnesses said the car's passenger pushed the gate arm up and they drove up to the raised ramps. They then backed up and accelerated forward, trying to jump to the other side, witnesses said.
The vehicle landed in the water instead and sank, officials said.
Both men were pronounced dead at the scene, according to officials.
- Deadly parasites, bacteria lurking in pool water, CDC says, urges diligence
- Baby cut from slain mother's womb opens eyes for first time since hospitalization
- 6-month-old baby found alive in motel near two bodies expected to make full recovery, report says
- VIDEO: Texas Men Died Attempting to Jump Car Across Drawbridge, Police Said
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts