• Firefighters respond to overheated solar panel at Ross retirement home

    By: Debra Erdley

    Updated:

    ROSS TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A malfunction in a roof top solar panel at the Ross Hill Retirement Residence in Ross Township brought fire fighters from three departments to the multi-unit building just off McKnight Road Saturday afternoon.

    Ross Fire Marshall John Reubi said a solar hot water panel on the roof of the building overheated, causing a relief valve to blow off and release steam that looked like smoke. Fire fighters from Ross, McCandless and West View responded to the 2:13 p.m. call.

    “There was a lot of noise when it blew. It sounded like an explosion and came in as an explosion. But it was just a normal activation to relieve pressure,” Reuibi said as fire trucks began to leave the site shortly before 3 p.m.

    He said building managers instructed residents to shelter in place in their apartments, while maintenance personnel inspected the panel.

    This article was written by Channel 11’s news exchange partners at TribLIVE.

     

     


     



    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Firefighters respond to overheated solar panel at Ross retirement home

  • Headline Goes Here

    Looking back at The Blizzard of '93

  • Headline Goes Here

    Teen "set-up" by man he met on Grindr, beaten in ruthless attack

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police need help identifying woman found dead inside mall

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: Child, 12, sent threat that closed Pennsylvania school district