ROSEMONT, Ill. - Chlorine gas sickened 19 people Sunday at a Chicago-area hotel hosting a "furry" convention, forcing thousands of guests – many dressed in animal costumes – to evacuate.
According to The Associated Press, authorities think the gas "was created intentionally" by someone who left chlorine in a stairwell at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare hotel in Rosemont, Illinois, where thousands had gathered to attend Midwest FurFest. The investigation was ongoing.
The 19 victims were treated for dizziness and nausea at area hospitals. At least 18 were released, the AP reported.
Midwest FurFest celebrates "art, literature and performance based around anthropomorphic animals," according to its website.
<div class="storify"><iframe src="//storify.com/cmgnationalnews/chlorine-gas-forces-evacuation-sickens-19-at-furry/embed?header=false&border=false" width="100%" height="750" frameborder="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe><script src="//storify.com/cmgnationalnews/chlorine-gas-forces-evacuation-sickens-19-at-furry.js?header=false&border=false"></script><noscript>[<a href="//storify.com/cmgnationalnews/chlorine-gas-forces-evacuation-sickens-19-at-furry" target="_blank">View the story "Chlorine gas forces evacuation, sickens 19 at hotel hosting 'furry' convention" on Storify</a>]</noscript></div>