CHONGQING, China - Parking just got a little easier for some motorists in China with what could best be described as a robotic valet.
Technically, it's called a "diagonal smart parking garage," and it's the first of its kind.
It works like this: Drivers park their vehicles on a platform and then go on their way. The machine takes over from there, lifting the vehicle both horizontally and vertically and automatically placing it in an available parking space.
When it's time to retrieve the vehicle, the same thing happens in reverse. The platform brings it back to the driver, who can then drive away without having to back up.
- WINTER STORM WATCH issued for Western Pa. this weekend
- LIVE UPDATES: Abducted teen girl safe, suspect in custody after standoff
- Severe Weather Team 11 tracking weekend storm
- VIDEO: Fire destroys Port Vue home
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The system is able to increase the capacity of parking garages by 60 percent.
COPYRIGHT 2019 WWW.CNN.COM. TURNER BROADCASTING SYSTEM, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.