CANONSBURG, Pa. - A driver was killed early Saturday morning in a wrong-way crash on Interstate 79 in Washington County, police said.
Investigators said the driver who died, 25-year-old Amanda Towns, of Morgantown, West Virginia, was traveling northbound in the southbound lanes. Towns’ car collided head-on with an SUV shortly before 3 a.m. at Exit 45 in Canonsburg.
The driver of the SUV suffered injuries, police said. The extent of the injuries was not immediately available.
Channel 11 spoked with Lawrence Burgess, who lives about a half mile away. He said he heard the impact.
"I heard this big, just sounded like metal dropping. I thought a truck on the highway dropped its load or something. So, I thought, 'Wow, something crazy happened up there,'" Burgess said.
Pennsylvania State Police are investigating.
- Woman attacked, robbed outside McCandless restaurant
- 150 Kay, Zales, Jared’s jewelry stores expected to close
- Dangerous plant that causes blindness, 3rd degree burns found in multiple states including Pa., officials say
- VIDEO: Runaway dog takes train across Ireland
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.