8-year-old boy dies after house fire in Carrick

The grandfather of an 8-year-old boy who died after being rescued from a house fire in Pittsburgh's Carrick neighborhood early Sunday morning is sharing his grandson's story.

Aiden Katip died Wednesday of smoke inhalation, just three weeks away from his ninth birthday.

The fire happened around 4:30 a.m. Sunday on Westmont Avenue, where flames were seen shooting from a window of the home.

"We loved him so much," said the boy's grandfather, Bill Katip. "He brought so much joy and happiness to our lives."

TRENDING NOW:

Aiden was one of two children, along with an adult, rescued from the second floor of the house. His grandfather said Aiden turned back when he noticed his mother and baby brother weren't behind him.

Three other children and an adult were able to escape safely. 

Aiden was a student at Concord Elementary School and the Pittsburgh Gifted Center. 

Aiden's mother is still receiving care at Mercy Hospital and three other siblings are still being treated at Children's Hospital.
 
"It's a deep, deep sorrow," Katip said. "When Jesus saw his loved one, he wept so we weep. We cry. That's what it's like, but we know there's a hope."
 
Katip is the president of Grace College and Seminary in Indiana. He told Channel 11 the family is leaning on its faith and made the decision to bless another family.
 
"Mike and Melanie, these great parents, they want to do organ donation," he said.
 
 
Doctors think they've found at least one match and are considering another little boy on the East Coast who desperately needs a heart.

"To think that Aiden, his life, his legacy, could go on here to help others, we're thrilled," Katip said.
 
A spokeswoman from Pittsburgh Public Schools said the district is offering counseling to students at both schools and will send a letter to students’ families.
 
 A fundraiser has been set up to help the family with medical expenses.  CLICK HERE or more information.