CINCINNATI — Three people were hospitalized and 10 are homeless after a Cincinnati woman attempted to douse a bedbug infestation in her home with rubbing alcohol and started a house fire instead, authorities said.
The rubbing alcohol — which is extremely flammable — ignited because of a nearby open flame, according to authorities cited by the New York Post. The ensuing fire caused $250,000 in damage to the five-unit multi-family Ohio home.
For now, the American Red Cross is assisting and providing housing for those displaced by the inferno, WXIX reported.
- WATCH: Injured Shazier celebrates Steelers' win in hospital
- Penn State suspends fraternity chapter as it investigates alleged misconduct
- Boyfriend shoots, kills pregnant girlfriend in attempt to end relationship, police say
- VIDEO: Erie baby dies at Pittsburgh hospital after near-drownin
This is the second time that a rubbing-alcohol-fueled fire has burned down a Cincinnati house in as many months. Just after Thanksgiving, a 19-year-old lit a match after dousing a bedbug in rubbing alcohol, causing a fire that did $300,000 in damage to six apartments and left eight people homeless.
Cincinnati District 3 Fire Chief Randy Freel told WXIX that people should stay away from any home remedies for bedbugs, especially the more flammable kinds.
“Get a professional,” he said.
Cox Media Group