• Flames ravage bar, but spare American flag

    Updated:

    DAWSON, Pa. - Firefighters were called Friday morning to battle an intense fire at a restaurant and bar in Fayette County that destroyed everything but an American flag, officials said.

    The fire was reported shortly before 2 a.m. at Chubboy's, formerly Phil's Nite Club, on River Road in Dawson. There was an apartment on the second floor, but no one was living there.

    Flames ravaged the building, causing the roof to collapse, as thick smoke billowed into the air.

    “It was through the roof. It was a complete loss from the get-go. There was nothing we could do to save it. The only thing we managed to save was an American flag,” firefighter Steve Swiger said.

    The business was closed when the fire broke out. No injuries were reported.

    Crews from Fayette and Westmoreland counties responded to the fire.

    A fire marshal is investigating what sparked the blaze.


    TRENDING NOW:



     

     

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Flames ravage bar, but spare American flag

  • Headline Goes Here

    Grenfell Tower survivors weep as inquiry begins in London

  • Headline Goes Here

    2 injured in 3-alarm fire at South Oakland apartment building

  • Headline Goes Here

    Coroner called to scene where person was hit by train

  • Headline Goes Here

    Bears' repeat visits worry neighborhood residents