PITTSBURGH — Channel 11 News is committed to keeping you informed about the coronavirus, the impact on our community and your lives. Below you’ll find all of the updates for Wednesday July 8, including the latest numbers and information from local and state officials.
Four more Port Authority employees have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases to 21.
Three employees (Cases 18 through 20) tested positive on Saturday, July 4. One employee (Case #21) tested positive on Wednesday, July 8. All four are at home recovering.
The Port Authority gave the following information about the people who tested positive:
- Case #18 is mechanic who works out of a Port Authority facility at South Hills Junction. They last worked on June 30 and has been in a medically directed self-quarantine since that time.
- Case #19 is a bus operator who works out of Port Authority’s East Liberty garage. They last worked on June 27 and has been in a medically directed self-quarantine since that time.
- Case #20 is a bus operator who works out of Port Authority’s West Mifflin garage. They last worked on June 28 and has been in a medically directed self-quarantine since that time.
- Case #21 is an auto shop employee who works out of a Port Authority facility at South Hills Junction (the same facility as Case #18). They last worked on July 2 and has been in a medically directed self-quarantine since that time.
UPDATE 5:40 p.m.: The Allegheny County Health Department has issued a new two-week order to stem the spread of COVID-19 in our area.
The new order, issued by Dr. Debra Bogen, goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. Friday and doesn’t expire until July 24. This comes after three straight days of more than 200 new COVID-19 cases in Allegheny County.
Indoor dining and alcohol consumption at bars, restaurants and other businesses are still prohibited in Allegheny County. However, officials said outdoor dining will be allowed until 11 p.m.
Takeout is able to continue at restaurants and bars, including alcoholic beverages, after 11 p.m.
Another notable change from the health department’s original order is the allowance of a three drink maximum while dining outdoors at restaurants. That includes alcohol, but officials said customers have to remain seated at a table.
Also, the use of tobacco products -- including e-cigarettes -- is prohibited at outdoor dining facilities and indoors at casinos. Officials said masks must be worn at all times while inside the casino as well.
The order bans events and gatherings of more than 25 people inside and more than 50 people outside. However, that does not apply to religious gatherings or places of worship.
UPDATE 3:50 p.m.: New COVID-19 sanctions and restrictions for counties in Southwestern Pennsylvania won’t be announced by Gov. Tom Wolf on Wednesday, Channel 11 has learned
They are expected for several local counties
It’s unknown when the announcement will be made.
UPDATE 3:35 p.m.: The decision includes men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s tennis, football and volleyball. Right now, the decision only impacts fall athletics.
“In the message that I wrote to you last month, I noted that the health and safety of our students, staff and community members are at the forefront of every decision we make. With that as our guiding principle, we cannot appropriately return to sport at this time,” said Director of Athletics Josh Centor in an e-mail message to Carnegie Mellon student-athletes.
UPDATE 3:16 p.m.: The Allegheny County Health Department said their outreach to positive cases and close contacts is taking a little longer because of an increase in cases.
Health Department Director Dr. Debra Bogen tells you what to expect if you’ve tested positive for COVID-19 or are a close contact.
UPDATE 2:10 p.m.: Many of them contracted the virus outside UPMC facilities, according to a spokesperson.
“Due to our universal masking, personal protective equipment use and other infection prevention practices, UPMC facilities are safe places to receive care,” the statement read.
UPDATE 12:28 p.m.: The Pennsylvania Department of Health announced that there are 849 additional positive cases of COVID-19.
The statewide total is now 92,148.
The state reported 25 new deaths. There are now 6,812 total deaths across the state.
The number of tests administered since July 1 is 118,128 with 5,542 positive test results, according to the Department of Health.
The health department said there are 635 patients who have a positive serology test and either COVID-19 symptoms or a high-risk exposure, which are considered probable cases and not confirmed cases.
There are 774,378 patients who have tested negative to date. Of the patients who have tested positive to date the age breakdown is as follows:
- Nearly 1% are ages 0-4;
- 1% are ages 5-12;
- Nearly 3% are ages 13-18;
- Nearly 8% are ages 19-24;
- 37% are ages 25-49;
- Nearly 24% are ages 50-64; and
- Nearly 27% are ages 65 or older.
Most of the patients hospitalized are ages 65 or older, and most of the deaths have occurred in patients 65 or older. More data is available here.
The department said it is is seeing significant increases in the number of COVID-19 cases among younger age groups, particularly 19 to 24-year-olds.
In nursing and personal care homes, there are 18,060 resident cases of COVID-19, and 3,380 cases among employees, for a total of 21,440 at 727 distinct facilities in 55 counties. Out of the total deaths, 4,663 have occurred in residents from nursing or personal care facilities, according to the health department.
Approximately 6,903 of the total cases are in health care workers.
UPDATE 11 a.m.: Allegheny County is reporting 230 new cases of coronavirus in Allegheny County.
Two more people have died as a result of the virus and eight more people have been hospitalized.
In these newest cases, the victims range in age from 7 months to 96 years old.
Positive results are from tests that span from June 23 to July 5, according to a news release.
UPDATE 4:30 a.m.: Sanctions are coming for Washington County to minimize community spread of COVID-19.
Gov. Tom Wolf is expected to announce the full extent of these sanctions Wednesday. This comes days after Wolf reportedly placed three local counties -- including Washington -- on his “watch list” related to the rising rates of coronavirus infections. Those counties could be facing sanctions from the state if the numbers do not improve.
Beaver County officials who wish to remain anonymous until an official announcement from the state told Channel 11 that indoor dining at restaurants will shut down in the next few days to help mitigate the spike in coronavirus cases.
A well-placed source also tells Channel 11 restaurants in Westmoreland County will be forced to shut down indoor dining for up to two weeks.
That order is expected to come out Wednesday.
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group