ELLWOOD CITY, Pa. — All clinical services have been "temporarily" suspended at the Ellwood City Medical Center, including inpatient and outpatient services and the emergency room.
The last outpatient services happened Tuesday.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts for Lawrence County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
This sudden announcement comes just a week after the emergency room and inpatient services were shut down – and nearly 100 employees were laid off last week in the wake.
The medical center's CEO also just resigned.
Officials said the 79 remaining employees were told to go home around 3:30 p.m. when the hospital shut down completely.
The city's mayor told Channel 11 the medical center will be closed until at least the beginning of the year, and possibly longer. But he still has hopes it will survive.
- Local company helping nearly 100 people who were suddenly laid off weeks before Christmas
- Local medical center laying off nearly 100 workers week after emergency room shut down
- Local emergency room shut down, some concerned it won't reopen
- VIDEO: Wildwood Highlands Entertainment Complex closes its doors after 30+ years
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Cox Media Group