CANTON TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A standoff with state police in Canton Township lasted several hours and during that time state police had Route 40 closed.
Investigators told Channel 11's Cara Sapida a man in his 50s was holding a woman hostage and threatening her.
The initial report was that the man had a weapon, and as a precaution neighbors and area businesses were evacuated. Nearby schools were also put on alert.
The woman was released two hours after police arrived. A short time later the man turned himself over and was taken into custody.
The man has not been identified, but troopers told Channel 11 he will be charged.
ACTIVE POLICE INCIDENT AT BELVEDERE ACRES, CANTON TWP, SR 40 CLOSED IN BOTH DIRECTIONS— TroopB (@PSPTroopBPIO) April 16, 2019
- Notre Dame Cathedral fire: 'Entire fire is out,' official says; billionaires pledge donations
- Maker of Chips Ahoy! recalling some products due to 'unexpected' ingredient
- PHOTOS: Fire at Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral
- VIDEO: 6-year-old boy helps save grandmother from house fire
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.