PITTSBURGH - The Rachel Carson Bridge closed Monday morning to all vehicle and foot traffic, a closure that will last for more than a year.
Several "bridge closed" and detour signs are up as crews begin work on a $23.3 million rehabilitation project on the bridge, also known as the Ninth Street Bridge.
Work will include steel repairs, a new concrete deck, new lighting, a new drain system, sidewalk replacement and painting the bridge Aztec gold.
The closure is expected to last through the summer of 2020.
Drivers said this will definitely impact their commute.
"Well, it's gonna be a big inconvenience, but what can I do," driver Chuck Shields said.
Traffic will be detoured using the Andy Warhol (Seventh Street) Bridge and Isabella Street.
- LIVE UPDATES: Pittsburgh school, business closings and delays
- 2 killed in crash on I-80 in Mercer County
- Five kids, ages 12-16, charged in shooting death of Nashville musician
- VIDEO: Kennywood's newest roller coaster 'Steel Curtain' taking shape
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.