PITTSBURGH - A water main break sent water rushing out from under a sidewalk, flooding Penn Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh early Wednesday morning.
The break happened about 1:30 a.m. in front of the Citizens Bank. Other banks, Gateway Station and Highmark are also in the area.
You can now customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Allegheny County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
Water from the break turned Penn Avenue into a small river before crews from the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority shut it off.
Barricades were put up on the sidewalk, which was ripped apart by the water. Part of the sidewalk caved in.
A PWSA spokesperson said repairs to the broken 8-inch water main are expected to last until about 4 p.m.
- Search for missing Illinois 5-year-old focusing on home, police say
- Law ends state license suspensions for non-driving offenses
- Police: Naked juveniles try to evade girl's dad after being found in bed together
- VIDEO: 19-year-old killed when tractor-trailer overturns onto his car
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.